Inclusion in the Mixed Reality (XR) Industry

Marc-Michel JOCELYN - Wixar
December 5, 2023

A report on inclusion and diversity in the mixed reality industry was published in 2020 by professionals from different fields, including XR. Their goal was to help building an inclusive and diverse sector in the future. A survey was therefore conducted to be able to better identify the characteristics of the XR industry today.

The results of the survey provide important information about the underrepresented groups in the XR sector. 

The XRI survey was conducted on 200 people from 30 different countries to provide a range of demographic statistics. It also revealed the need for larger and broader data sets, as more than 50 percent of respondents were from the United States and 62 percent were white, with Hispanics, Latinos and Spaniards representing the second largest group at 21 percent of respondents. 

Here are some key points to remember:

  • The survey found that 7 in 10 Hispanics reported feeling the need to hide parts of their identity at work, more so among men than women.

  • When it comes to age, those over 55 feel less respected than younger people. The 45-54 year olds report being the most respected.

  • As for gender, female respondents were less likely to feel completely or moderately respected by their peers than males (8/10 versus 9/10)."

  • In relation to diversity and harassment training within companies, the study found that about 40% have never been trained on the topic. Of the remaining 60%, 19% say they have received some on diversity, 18% on inclusion and 24% on harassment.

  • There is some good news, however. On the question of being able to talk openly about their concerns to their company, 58% said "Definitely." And when it comes to fairness, women and non-binary respondents feel on par with men.

The purpose of this study is to take part in the practice of inclusiveness and diversity within the XR industry. It aims to promote and integrate meaningful inclusion and inclusivity in the financing, growth and management of XR start-ups and large companies. The survey is scheduled annually to track progress.

Visit the XRI website to view the full report.

Back to WiXar World